« Race matters | Main | Tripe of the day »

December 20, 2007

Comments

boomer

George is right. But we have the internet to set us free. As long as you stay off the government dole and are free of debt, you have a chance. George wouldn't be able to speak the way he does, in another country. So, at least that's something.

Hattie

But Boomie, out here we're all on the dole!
The state of Hawaii gets far more back in federal funds than taxpayers send to Washington.
Without federal spending, especially military spending, our economy would collapse.
Just consider that we have to fly to leave the islands or even to get to other islands. Air travel is heavily subsidized by the federal government.

boomer

Hattie-so are the states of Mass. and Rhode Island. RI is in complete collapse, because it is so small, it is taking the biggest (and first hit). I don't know what the answer is. Socialism doesn't work. Look at Europe (France & Italy to name a few).
I don't know what the answer is. I do know we can get the truth from the internet and not just the 5 o'clock news anymore.

Hattie

These are imperfect societies, all right, but just look at the Euro.Wouldn't we be bragging if the dollar were as strong as it once was!
Remember: in Europe, the middle classes are frugal! I'm always surprised at how well my friends over there live without spending a lot of money.
Actually, the Netherlands does amazingly well with its social democracy, even though it's crowded to the max, has no natural resources beyond cows & grass, and is integrating people from its former colonies. Amsterdam may shock, but it's very safe. The Dutch are philosophical and pragmatic. They say, well, some people you can do nothing about. We'll take care of the kids. And that's what they did when the drugs hit.
I admire the Dutch tremendously. Call it socialism if you will, but they saved their society from ruin.

boomer

When I visit my family in Italy (and when I have traipsed through Paris and the French countryside) I used to think (and admire) their frugality. Until last year, when I sat down with one of my cousins and he told me he and his family pay over 60% of their income to taxes. You have to be very smart and creative to make the remaining 40% work. Smaller cars, smaller meals, better quality clothes because they must last you for a long time. Their efficient use of both energy and food suddenly made more sense to me.
As for the Euro, I am SOOOO sorry I traded them back in when I returned home last year. If only I had held onto them!

Hattie

You are right about the taxes; there is no denying that. And they are very regressive, too. But at least they are not paying out billions for a war.

The comments to this entry are closed.

Cat trump
My Photo
Blog powered by Typepad